After all the disappointments of 2020, we are pleased to announce that we will be running Santa Special trains in December 2021.
Christmas magic will start the moment that you enter our festively decorated visitor centre and collect your tickets for the Santa Special train. Wander through the Christmas trees and decorations in the display hall. Board the Santa Special awaiting at the platform. Keen eyed children will soon spot Santa and his elves boarding the train. On the journey to the park and back Santa will have a specially selected present for each member of his young audience.
Then, while eager little fingers open their presents, you can socialise in our café area where drinks and seasonal mince pies and biscuits are being served.
Our popular Santa Special Trains start running on Saturday 4th December 2021. Each child aged up to 12 years inclusive for whom a fare has been paid will be given a present by Santa whilst travelling on the train.
If babes in arms do not require a present from Santa then they may travel free. For these trains children aged 13 years and above are treated as adults, and are not eligible for a present from Santa.
Once the train has arrived back at Moor Road adults (including children 13 or over) will receive a hot drink and a mince pie. For children there will be juice and biscuits.
Our Santa Trains are very popular and so you are strongly advised to book in advance, and this is also cheaper. For Christmas Eve advance booking is essential, as tickets will NOT be sold on the day. Details of how to book in advance are given below.
Please note that our Santa Special trains are NOT normal service trains, in that each ticket is valid only for one round trip on the specified train. Hence you MUST return from Park Halt on the same train: the option of getting off at Park Halt and returning on a later train is not available, as there may not be any seats on later trains.
Because of limited space, we regret that the only animals we can permit on the Santa Trains are guide dogs and other assistance dogs. During our normal operating season, from Easter to November, dogs on leads are very welcome.
Also, please note that these trains are designed to appeal to children, and so priority will be given to family groups. Because they are so popular, to ensure that family groups have the maximum chance to travel on them we do not normally sell tickets for these trains to adults without accompanying children in their party. These are the only services that we operate where we have to make this restriction: if you are an adult without accompanying children who wants to visit us, you will be very welcome at any other time of the year when we are open.
Trains will normally be hauled by a steam locomotive, but occasionally operating conditions (such as bad weather) may mean that a diesel locomotive has to be added to the rear of the train.
As these trains are operated primarily for children travelling with their families and friends, we ask all visitors to be sensitive with regard to photography, on or near the trains.
The dates when trains will run, and the times at which they will run, are shown in this table.
|Saturday||December 4th||10:00 Quiet||10:45||11:30||12:15||13:30||14:15||15:00||15:45|
|Sunday||December 5th||10:00 Quiet||10:45||11:30||12:15||13:30||14:15||15:00||15:45|
|Saturday||December 11th||10:00 Quiet||10:45||11:30||12:15||13:30||14:15||15:00||15:45|
|Sunday||December 12th||10:00 Quiet||10:45||11:30||12:15||13:30||14:15||15:00||15:45|
|Note: trains shown in this colour are sold out, and no more tickets are available for them. Please do not call to ask if there might be any tickets available, as we can tell you now that there aren't. Sold Out does mean Sold Out!
As shown in the table above, the 10.00 train on each of the following days will be a "quiet train":
- Saturday 4th December;
- Sunday 5th December;
- Saturday 11th December; and
- Sunday 12th December.
This means that the seating will be socially distanced, and so there should be less noise to distract those who would be worried by having to be too close to other people.
Please note that concessionary fare offers, members’ free tickets, complimentary tickets, HRA passes and other passes are not valid for Santa Train services.
Booked in advance
Pre-booking is mandatory for Christmas Eve Trains (24th December)
Adult (includes child over 12): £10.75 (£11.75 for 24th December)
Child (3 to 12 years): £13.75 (£14.75 for 24th December)
Child (Under 3 years): £9.00 (£10.00 for 24th December)
Babies (0 to roughly 12 months, with no gift and no seat): FREE.
Note that there are no additional booking charges for booking in advance.
Booked on day of travel
Please note that these tickets will not be available on Christmas Eve (24th December)
Adult (includes child over 12): £11.75
Child (3 to 12 years): £14.75
Child (Under 3 years): £10.00
Babies (0 to roughly 12 months, with no gift and no seat): FREE.
How to book
Please note that there are now no tickets left that are available to be booked online.
We can take online bookings through a separate booking site, provided for us by Wilson Digital Media Ltd. There is no additional charge for online bookings.
Tickets cannot be booked online after 02:00 on the Thursday before the train runs.
Note that the booking site will open in a new browser tab or window.
Note also that if the train for which you wish to book is shown on the booking site as either "SOLD OUT" or "Limited Seats - CALL" then you will not be able to book online, and will need to book either by telephone or in person, as described below.
When you make an online booking you will receive an email message confirming your booking, and giving you a unique booking reference number. Please make a careful record of this, and then bring it with you to the Ticket Office on your day of travel, and it will be used to issue you with your tickets. If you do not receive such a message within a few minutes of booking, please check your email spam folders!
Telephone bookings are now open. Please note that when booking in advance by telephone, tickets must be paid for at least three days before you intend to travel.
We accept most major credit and debit cards (except American Express & Diners Card), so please look at the booking form in our Santa leaflet here (which will open in another browser tab or window) and either print a copy if you wish, or make a note of your requirements. Then call our Santa Hotline on 07376 744 799 (Monday to Friday, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm only, please) and let us know what you wish to book. Please note that this is a new number, as the mobile phone company had messed up the previous number for us!
Once your booking has been made you will be given a unique booking reference number, and you need to write this down (preferably on your booking form, if you have printed it), bring it to the Ticket Office on your day of travel and it will be exchanged for your tickets. You will be given your payment card transaction receipt on your day of travel.
Please note that, apart from the online booking facility, we do NOT use any ticketing agencies for booking these trains, and because we are all volunteers there may be times when you get an answering service for a call to our Santa Hotline. If this happens then please state your name and number twice, speaking slowly and clearly, and we will get back to you as soon as possible (usually on the same day, but we can not guarantee this).
You may book your tickets in advance at our Moor Road Ticket Office up to one week before you intend to travel. During the rest of October we are open from 10:00 until 16:00 on Saturdays and Sundays, but then during much of November we will be closed, and so you will have to book either online or by telephone. Most major credit and debit cards are accepted (except American Express & Diners Card), as well as cash.
Terms and Conditions
- Any booking is made subject to the Conditions of Carriage of the Middleton Railway Trust Ltd. Full details are available on request.
- Concessionary fares, members’ free tickets, complimentary tickets, HRA and other passes cannot be used on Santa Train services.
- Those purchasing tickets must check their booking, as it may not be possible to exchange or refund tickets after purchase, and if it is an administration charge may be payable. The Middleton Railway Trust Ltd and Wilson Digital Media Ltd cannot be held responsible for any tickets which are lost or stolen.
- If this booking is re-sold or transferred for profit or commercial gain by anyone other than the Middleton Railway Trust Ltd or Wilson Digital Media Ltd, it may be voided and the ticket holder may be refused travel. The Middleton Railway Trust Ltd and Wilson Digital Media Ltd reserve the right to cancel bookings for tickets which they reasonably suspect to have been made fraudulently.
- Whilst every effort will be made to provide the advertised Santa Train services, The Middleton Railway Trust Ltd. reserves the right to amend or cancel any service without prior notice and accepts no liability whatsoever for any inconvenience, loss or disappointment caused, including travel expenses.
- It is the responsibility of the ticket holders to ascertain whether a service has been cancelled and the date and time of any rearranged service. If a service is cancelled or rescheduled, Wilson Digital Media Ltd will use reasonable endeavours to notify intending passengers who have booked through them of the cancellation, once they have received the relevant authorisation from the Middleton Railway Trust Ltd, but neither Wilson Digital Media Ltd nor the Middleton Railway Trust Ltd can guarantee that ticket holders will be informed of such cancellation before the date of travel.
- If a train service is rescheduled, ticket holders will be offered tickets to the rescheduled service, equivalent to the face value of the ticket. If a train service is cancelled, ticket holders will be offered travel on an alternative service (subject to availability) up to the value on the ticket. If no alternative service is available the fares will be refunded.
- Passengers for Santa Trains must arrive at least 20 minutes before the train on which they will be travelling is due to depart.
- Passengers must comply with all relevant statutes, safety announcements and other instructions from staff of the Middleton Railway Trust Ltd whilst travelling.
- The Middleton Railway Trust Ltd reserves the right to refuse admission to any persons who may breach any of these conditions, or any of the Conditions of Carriage of the Middleton Railway Trust Ltd. Unacceptable behaviour likely to cause damage, nuisance or injury will entitle the Middleton Railway Trust Ltd to refuse ticket holders admission, or refuse to carry them as a passenger.
- The Middleton Railway Trust Ltd may on occasions have to conduct security searches to ensure the safety of persons coming onto its site or travelling on its trains.
- Tickets for Santa Trains are each valid only for one return journey to Park Halt and back on the same train. They are not valid for getting off at Park Halt in order to return on a later train.
- The only animals permitted on the Santa Trains are assistance dogs.
- Passengers consent to filming and sound recording by other passengers and visitors, but since the Santa Trains are operated primarily for children travelling with their families and friends, passengers must be sensitive with regard to photography on or near the trains.
- The Middleton Railway Trust Ltd operates a strict policy of No Smoking and no use of e-Cigarettes on its trains.
- Hot drinks may not be taken onto the Santa trains.
- The Middleton Railway Trust Ltd. and Wilson Digital Media Ltd accept no responsibility for any personal property.
- All of these terms and conditions are governed by English Law.
Other pages of our web site provide more information about: