Fathers' Day Weekend
This is a special event that offers some particular attractions which may be of special interest to fathers (and other male members of the family, subject to some age restrictions), although the event as a whole should be of interest to everybody. The train service will run to the normal timetable and fares, and offer the opportunity to visit Middleton Park. Also our usual range of light refreshments will be available.
The particular attractions are a package that consists of:
- the opportunity to ride in the cab of one of our steam locomotives as it hauls the train up the line - more details of these footplate experiences are given below; and
- the opportunity to tour some of our workshops, to see what is involved in keeping these historic machines in working order.
There is an extra charge for this package, which for Saturday (when we are running a diesel locomotive) will be £10 per person, and for Sunday (when we are running a steam locomotive) will be £15 per person. There is only one package, for one person, available for each train on each day, where the trains depart Moor Road at the following times: 11:00; 11:40; 12:20; 13:00; 14:00; 14:40; 15:20 and 16:00.
We strongly recommend that these packages should be booked in advance, with bookings made either in person at our shop, or by telephone (07931 778843, but please only between 09:30 and 19:00). Subject to demand, we may be able to take bookings on the day, but we can not guarantee which trains will be available.
The footplate experience gives you the opportunity to ride in the cab of the locomotive, for one return journey from Moor Road to Park Halt and back again. See for yourself just what has to be done to make these historic machines work!
There are a few special conditions that do have to apply to this, however, and these are as follows.
- For a footplate experience you must be at least 18 years old, and not older than 76 years.
- You also need to be in reasonable health - at least up to the level that is required to drive a motor car - and at the time of the experience you must not be under the influence of either drink or drugs.
- You will need to wear suitable clothes, and reasonably stout shoes. Trainers are not sufficient - they would not protect your toes if a lump of coal dropped on them!
- While we hope the situation will not arise, we do have to reserve the right to cancel a booked experience, in which case the special booking charge will be refunded.